The Protein Sciences team at Cambridge is currently in the build-up phase and the successful candidate will work in this new and dynamic team. This is an exciting stage for the team and the successful candidate will have an important role in contributing to the success of the group. The Scientist role predominantly involves the design of protein constructs and optimization the expression strategy. This role will apply bioinformatic tools and protein structural modelling techniques to design a viable strategy for high-quality protein production. The Protein Science group in Cambridge is part of a larger global team and therefore good communication with managers and the larger team is essential.
- Plan and execute various computational experiments involving the design, selection and optimization of protein constructs
- Investigate, create and develop new methods for project advancement
- Conduct day-to-day problem solving, work prioritization, and co-ordination across the team and other groups to ensure project deadlines are met
- Perform data analysis; write reports and present results and project assessments to Senior Management
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- At least a degree level in biophysics, bioengineering, computational chemistry, structural biology or a related field with computational proteomics experience
- Proficiency in computational structural biology skills such as protein structural prediction/homology modelling, biophysical characterization, QSAR modelling etc.
- Experience with computational optimization of protein expression and construct design
- Strong understanding of protein structure and biochemistry in the context of antigen/protein design and characterization
- Experience with protein structure software to allow protein modelling, visualization and structural optimization
- Experience working closely with experimental scientists
- Knowledge of protein expression and purification especially in mammalian cell systems will be a plus
- Familiarity with scripting languages (Python, Perl, R) and Linux OS will be a plus
The successful candidate will have experience communicating and working in a global team, will be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and effectively contribute to project teams. The candidate possesses strong communication, organization, attention to detail and team skills. The successful candidate will be naturally self-motived and thrive in a fast-paced environment, with minimal supervision.