|Job Type:||Full Time|
Senior Technical Animator
Job ID 717433
Salary: Competitive plus benefits
Opening date: 11/02/2020
Closing date: 10/03/2020
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare! Working here offers opportunities unlike anywhere else. You'll be providing players with unforgettable shared experiences in games loved by millions worldwide. Our pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, launched in 2018, is still going strong – and alongside that we're busy creating our next magical world, Everwild, announced in 2019 to a global audience.
We strive to make Rare an amazing place to work, embracing a culture of respect and building a supportive environment for our developers. Our custom-built Twycross studio is situated in the beautiful English countryside, surrounded by woodland and wildlife, with plenty of room for us to grow. Studio benefits are catered to making life easier for staff, including flexible working, a bonus scheme, an industry-leading pension package, private healthcare, mental health initiatives and free events for employees and their families.
By joining Rare, you'll be joining one of the finest studios in the industry with support from the wider Xbox Game Studios network. We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who can bring their expertise and unique thinking to help make our team even stronger!
Are you a Technical Animator looking to work on unique and innovative AAA game experiences? Do you revel in problem solving and working independently as well as in a collaborative team? You may be our next Technical Animator!
As part of the Technical Animation team, you will work alongside Animators and Engineers helping to develop, implement, and maintain in-game animation systems that show off our animations at their very best and enhance player experience.
As part of a creative team, your Animator’s artistic eye and the ability to offer creative technical solutions are a sought after skill we need. We are looking for an Animator with a proven interest in both the creative and technical aspects of animation. The role will be hands-on with Unreal Engine and experience with blueprint is a bonus, but scripting experience in any language is acceptable.
- Work closely with Art, Design and Engineering teams to achieve different briefs.
- Plan, implement and maintain in-game technical animation solutions which are elegant, reliable, user friendly, and performant.
- Help to drive the direction of our animation systems and undertake R&D into new techniques and pipelines.
- Be a point of contact for technical issues inside of the animation team, and between animation and engineering.
- Assist with technical knowledge sharing across the animation team.
- Maintain clear and concise documentation for use by internal and external teams.
- Has shipped at least one AAA console/PC title as a Technical Animator or as an Animator with significant technical animation experience.
- Confident experience building and maintaining in game technical animation systems including state machines and IK set ups.
- A thorough knowledge of Unreal desirable, though experience with other engines such as Unity or CryEngine is acceptable. A basic understanding of Unreal native C++ code would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of one or more scripting / programming languages such as Python / C++ / C# / HLSL.
- Up-to-date knowledge of current technical animation techniques and systems.
- Knowledge of Animation software such as Maya, MotionBuilder, 3Ds Max.
- Able to adapt to new technologies and pipelines.
- Able to take ownership and drive technical solutions.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.