|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Socially Intelligent Meetings work stream explores how to improve video-mediated collaboration and thus achieve organisational success. Social Devices: How to enable our ecology of devices to act together in meetings. Intelligent context: How to use machine perception and machine teaching to reason about people, objects, and activities in a remote room. Technologised interaction: How video-mediated technologies are used in various kinds of social relationships. Sustainable global conferences: The holistic understanding of the many social, economic, and institutional needs of conference attendance and how video-mediated technology may be deployed in creative ways. A new strand of work is how to use management science and data science to improve meeting procedures at scale. You can find more information about this work stream at the Future of Work - Socially Intelligent Meetings site. Past interns have been heavily involved in impactful projects that have transitioned into products, such as Mobile Sharing and Companion Experiences for Microsoft Teams Meetings released in 2018. Past interns have also optionally participated in the Microsoft Hackathon, and this is encouraged.
Propose, explore, and analyse new ideas in one of the five video-mediated collaboration areas above.
- Students enrolled in a PhD program or outstanding undergraduate/Master’s students with research experience.
- Methodological experience in at least one of the following areas: ethnography, conversation analysis, ethnomethodology, qualitative interviews, surveys, human-centered data science and visualisation.
- A Letter of support from a supervisor and, optionally, from another senior collaborator
- Lab or field UX study experience.
- Programming skills.
- One or two papers at top HCI, Internet Studies, Sociology, Communication, or Management Science conferences, or journal articles are strongly desired. A writing sample of unpublished work should be included if a publication is not available.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.