|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Minimum Data AI team at Microsoft Research Cambridge (UK) is seeking an exceptional candidate to pursue research in Machine Learning for Education. The successful applicant is expected to develop a program of research in novel machine learning approaches, with a strong focus on applications in online education We want to address questions like: what insights can we learn from a dataset of hundreds of millions of answers to tens of thousands of questions? Can we learn enough about a student from their previous answers to find new questions that maximise information gain? Can we separate good questions from ineffective ones? What exercises can we recommend to students to maximize their learning outcome?
This is an exceptional opportunity to drive ambitious research, combined with the potential for substantial real-wold impact. Working with the top researchers at Minimum Data AI team and with the fully operational online education platform Eedi, this role gives you the opportunity to seek innovative solutions to the real-world challenges and improving the education for children.
There is no closing deadline for this post. The post will be filled once suitable candidates are found so if you are interested please apply as soon as possible. When submitting your application, include your CV with a list of publications as an attachment. You may also include your published work. For more information about the post, please feel free to email Cheng Zhang at Cheng.Zhang@microsoft.com and Simon Peyton Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contract duration: 2 years
- In collaboration with a diverse team (including researchers, engineers and external education experts) develop and drive an ambitious, high impact, research agenda in machine learning with applications in online education.
- Write research code to test new approaches with real-world education application
- Distil insights into effective communications, such as research papers and presentations, to reach technical and general audiences
- PhD in machine learning (or close to finish).
- Research ability demonstrated by journal or conference publications in top venues such as NeurIPS, ICML, AAAI, IJCAI
- Strong understanding of major machine learning approaches including variational autoencoder, Bayesian neural network, state-space models and basic reinforcement learning such as A3C and PPO.
- Hands-on experience in implementing and empirically evaluating machine learning approaches
- Effective communication skills and ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Experience with applications in education will be a plus.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
We offer a competitive salary.