|Job Type:||Full Time|
About Network Rail
The HS1 Infrastructure consists of a diverse range of railway assets from the track, signalling, overhead line, lineside buildings and depots through to viaducts, long tunnels and international stations at St Pancras, Ebbsfleet and Stratford along its 109km length. Unlike its parent, NR HS are privately financed under an agreement with their client 'HS1' and undertake a diverse range of activities from railway infrastructure maintenance and operations through to station facilities management and retail.
NR (HS) value their people, fulfilling their contractual commitments through a highly performing professional team of appointed specialists, engineers and managers who consistently deliver safe and reliable infrastructure for train operators and their passengers. Together we work every day to achieve Our Vision - to deliver the best High Speed rail customer experience.
As an M&E Technician, you'll assist your Team Leader or Working Supervisor within the M&E Team based at our Singlewell Infrastructure Maintenance Depot to deliver maintenance of our systems, assets and equipment to ensure work is done efficiently and to our rigorous specifications and standards.
Do you have a qualification and experience in either Mechanical/Electrical engineering/maintenance, Air Conditioning (HVAC), or Uninterruptable Power Supply Systems (UPS).
You'll actively contribute to the overall performance of the team, complete designated tasks in a safe and timely manner, be proactive and consistent with planning ahead ensuring the work completed is of the required quality and recorded accurately at all times.
As part of your duties as a Technician you will be required to:
- Undertake inspections, faulting, maintenance and renewal work on assets as and when required.
- Carry out work safely and in accordance with the safe systems of work procedures, method statements or other relevant instructions.
- Undertake work and associated duties for which you are trained and competent. Undertake and direct work activities in a safe and efficient manner and in accordance with all relevant standards.
- Control and check the quality of work undertaken and confirm assets are compliant to standards.
- Establish and maintain appropriate safety arrangements for staff under your control including Contractors.
- Check that vehicles, plant, tools, equipment and materials under your control are fit for use and are used / stored and disposed of correctly.
- Accurately report all work completed / not completed and produce / maintain records as required.
- Contribute to your own development and that of others.
- Adhere to company policies and procedures.
- A qualification and experience in either Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Air Conditioning (HVAC), Uninterruptable Power Supply Systems (UPS) or Mechanical Engineering/Maintenance
- An understanding of electrical principles
- The ability to learn new skills and develop knowledge
- Experience of promoting safe working practices
- High standards of inter-personal, communication and organisational skills
- A full driving licence
- Experience of developing fellow team members and disseminating lessons learnt
- Knowledge of an operational railway environment
Do you demonstrate the following behaviours:
- Willing to challenge?
- Being accountable?
Being customer driven?
About the role
In this key post, you'll support a Team Leader to organise and motivate a specialist Infrastructure Maintenance team. We'll look to you to make sure work is carried out safely, efficiently and in line with exacting standards. You'll personally carry out all kinds of work - from maintenance and renewal through to inspection and faulting.
What's more, you'll act as Team Leader when the job demands it. This will see you establishing safety arrangements, controlling and checking quality of work, making sure staff have the appropriate competencies for the task at hand, and ensuring vehicles, plant, equipment, tools and material are fit for purpose. It's a crucial frontline role, which calls for a resilient approach. Working on a shift basis, you'll maintain the same high standards at all times of day, in even the toughest weather conditions.
This role involves days, nights and weekend working, and is a safety critical role so subject to drug and alcohol testing and passing of the relevant medical assessment.
You must also be able to meet the required online testing benchmark score, in order for us to progress with your application.
How to apply
Network Rail adheres to pre-employment Baseline Personal Security Standard (BPSS), this is government standard for pre -employment vetting. BPSS government standard pre-employment vetting requires Network Rail to screen a potential employee's unspent criminal convictions and undertake 3 year career checks. Employment at Network Rail is subject to employees meeting the BPSS government standard pre-employment vetting.
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail.Applicants should demonstrate their personal commitment to safety in their application.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets costing up to £3000 (to a maximum amount of £2,250).
Network Rail positively embraces flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life
Closing date: 19th November 2019, late applications will not be accepted.We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes
Salary: £33,853 per annum, plus location allowance.
If you are not already an employee of Network Rail you will be required to complete the external recruitment process which will involve online SHL testing.The invite to SHL testing will be sent via email. Please ensure you add an email address to your application form.Email invites should be received within 5 days of your application being received.