Big Bank Funding. FinTech Thinking.
Our technology teams in the UK work closely with HSBC’s global businesses to help design and build digital services that allow our millions of customers around the world, to bank quickly, simply and securely. We also run and manage our IT infrastructure, data centres and core banking systems that power the world’s leading international bank.
Our multi-disciplined teams include: DevOps engineers, IT architects, front and back end developers, infrastructure specialists, cyber experts, as well as project and programme managers.
We work in small, agile DevOps teams with colleagues around the world from our offices at the Bluefin Building in Southwark, our Global headquarters in Canary Wharf, and multiple other locations around the UK including Sheffield, Leeds and Birmingham.
We are currently recruiting for a Principal Engineer to be located in our Digital Hub - Bluefin Building, Southwark London.
- Provide leadership in your discipline as a senior engineering lead, enabling teams to deliver whilst having the right technical approach.
- Provide leadership for the delivery and financial management for the cross functional team
- Being responsible for the implementation of the delivery approach and operating model of the cross functional team
- Managing the portfolio level view of delivery and finances as well as managing the detailed financial models deployed within the cluster
- Feeding in to Digital-wide financial and delivery reporting and taking accountability for the cross functional team’s responsibilities in to digital leadership
Identify strategic ways to reduce cost, increase efficiency and assure delivery across the cross functional team whilst maintaining the right technical strategy
Provide technical leadership at a product level identifying opportunities to improve both the product and the overall HSBC technology capability
Hands on with Planning, estimating, contributing to the architecture, coding, development
- Ensure that technology risks and opportunities are identified, managed and resolved appropriately.
- Be an advocate for HSBC's strategic intent, architectural strategy, engineering Standards and other initiatives and work with teams to ensure they adhere to them
- Perform functional leadership of a number of colleagues across technology and delivery in order to support their individual growth as well as the growth of the whole team.
- Work with a diverse Engineering leadership team to define the strategy for how engineering is done in your discipline.
- Identify strategic ways to reduce technical debt, working with teams to ensure they are continuously improving.
- Collaborate with a diverse team and ensure that Engineering is well represented to create great outcomes.
Proactive collaboration in the project team to help develop the product using your experience to help guide the team through the whole development lifecycle
Focus on SW quality and delivering quality throughout the whole process
Ensuring that technical decisions and information is communicated thorough the global team
Keen to collaborate with others, and you’ll give thought about how product fits into the bigger picture
Experienced in Continuous Delivery practices and how they affect product quality and delivery
Experienced with a range of agile practices and understand how and why they work
We promote a DevOps culture so you will need to look beyond pure programming and get involved with the deployment and operation of the software we build.
Have strong experience building highly productive teams of technically talented engineers
Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets