|Job Type:||Full Time|
The role sits within the EPS Geography team which develops the partner-facing Geography API - https://developer.expediapartnersolutions.com/documentation/rapid-geography-docs-2-3/
The service provides mechanisms to allow partners to explore high-value Expedia Geographical datasets that have been honed and refined through years of use, and then load them into their own systems to power their logic and processes. Geographical data has a huge bearing on end-customer search results, so the team are continually working to discover new ways of helping partners understand and exploit our valuable data assets to optimize business performance.
We are also happy to train Java to those with experience coding in other languages.
You’ll be working on some cool projects using our cutting-edge technologies…
As a Software Dev Engineer I, you will collaborate with other experienced software engineers to drive improvements to our technology, design and develop new services and software solutions, and build and track metrics to ensure high quality results. You will have the chance to work with business partners, leadership and other software developers, influence and drive product vision and lead the design of our systems. We guarantee you’ll learn a lot and won't be bored!
You’ll be responsible for:
- Writing code — lots of it. Much of our code is in Java, but we use all kinds of languages and frameworks and we welcome programmers of all backgrounds
- Working in an agile team and look for ways to continuously improve through asking and providing feedback.
- You will provide technical guidance to other team members, review work of peers and more junior developers.
- You will act as point of contact for technical issues for specific work streams within a project.
- You will implement product features working as part of multi-functional team using agile methodologies, work with QA, DB, Operations, Information Security, Release engineers and Product Owners
- You will drive ongoing improvements in application architecture to help build and design highly scalable enterprise applications
We don’t believe in skill matching against a list of buzzwords…
We look for smart people with good general programming skills because we believe that exceptional developers can learn new technologies quickly and well. However, it wouldn't hurt if you have experience with some of the following (or a passion to learn them):
- Object-Oriented Programming concepts, data structure, algorithms, preferably in Java but we are open to training those with experience in other languages
- First class communication skills in written and verbal form
- Critical thinker, expected to speak out and defend views.
- Understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle and methodologies
- Be self-motivated with drive and good organisational skills to work to challenging deadlines.
- Very passionate about learning, especially in the areas of technology, service design patterns and system architecture.
- Knowledge of testing frameworks, performance testing, application tuning and load testing
- Experience of using cloud services (e.g. AWS)
As a team we love to…
- Expand our skills in building highly scalable solutions while influencing others and raising the bar on the overall level of excellence within the team.
- Work in an environment where elegant, clean, maintainable code is favoured over messy hacks.
- Share our knowledge with each other and learn new things.
- Take advantage of our amazing travel discounts and tick some destinations off our bucket lists!
We’ll take your career on a journey that’s flexible and right for you, whilst recognising and rewarding your achievements…
- Competitive salaries and many growth opportunities within the company.
- You will get the opportunity to serve as a domain expert in multi-functional feature delivery.
- Option to attend conferences globally and enrich the technology skills you are passionate about.
- A conversation with your Manager around flexible working and what is right for you is encouraged from day one.
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce, is the most awesome workforce…
We believe in being Different. We seek new ideas, different ways of thinking, diverse backgrounds and approaches, because averages can lie and sameness is dangerous.
Expedia is committed to crafting an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.
We’re excited for you to make Expedia an even more awesome place to work!
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.