Do you want to write software for the UK’s latest frontline fighter, Augmented/Virtual reality trainers for nuclear submarines or even 3D Mission Planning systems for Typhoon and Hawk jets? Interested in using machine learning on big data to maximise availability for aircraft, ships and land vehicles or developing web based solutions to keep airspace safe? Or even producing software to optimise the timetables on the London Underground?
Well, if any of those grab your attention, how would you also like to work for a business that is committed to making the workplace one that is agile and flexible to meet the diverse needs of our internal and external customers? Where high standards of work are expected and encouraged? Where people are understood and valued? Where you can develop and enhance your skills and knowledge, and be given the opportunity to become a leader in a global business?
There are a number of Junior Software Engineer vacancies at our site in Yeovil, Somerset giving you the opportunity to work on projects such as those above and to start your software career.
We are looking for people who can be independent, accountable and are output driven. You will need to be flexible and mobile to meet changing business and customer demands, be willing to share best practice and engage in the future of our business. You will be open to new ideas, new approaches and willing to adapt in a fast-paced technology driven company.
As a Junior Software Engineer your responsibilities will include:
- Completion of allocated requirements, design and implementation, and test tasks to a high standard, and within schedule and estimates
- Software development of solutions
- Testing of completed functionality
- Adherence to project processes and software development practices
- Accurately reporting on progress and providing feedback to team members and leadership
- Supporting System Test and Integration Activities
- Production of appropriate technical documentation
- Participation in peer reviews of own and others’ work products
- Configuration of completed work
As part of the software team you will be expected to work closely with team members, and support the team and/or project leadership in daily activities
What we are looking for in you:
You should have an awareness and understanding of:
- The full software development lifecycle, from requirements & design through to delivery
- Software development processes (e.g. design, coding, unit testing), experience of development tools (e.g. UML design tools, code IDEs)
You should have experience in at least one of the following:
- Desktop-based applications (Java and Eclipse RCP or C#/C++)
- Web-oriented applications and services (Java/C#, JSP, HTML, CSS, Apache middleware)
- Business intelligence/analytics tools and techniques (ETL, SQL, Python)
- Windows or Linux target environments
- Object-oriented design/development including UML
You should be able to demonstrate:
- A 'can do' attitude; deliver on commitments within agreed budgets and timescales
- You enjoy team dynamics and encourage a positive team spirit
- A willingness to work away from your home site for periods of time
Ideally you have an honours degree or equivalent professional qualification in a relevant STEM subject, although additional relevant knowledge, experience and domain expertise may offset the normal qualification requirements.
You will be required to obtain full Security Clearance (e.g. evidence covering the last 5 years of continual UK residency).
A little bit of what we can offer:
Why work for BAE Systems, Air - Defence Information? We asked our employees and they said:
- Interesting, varied and challenging work that makes a difference
- The ability to see projects through from the start to the finish
- Work closely with the customer, including working at the customer sites
- Fantastic site locations
- A supportive and flexible approach to work/life balance
- Working with friendly and collaborative people
- Access to an enormous knowledge base and online training resource
- Free tea and coffee!
Whether you are just starting out in software or are an experienced software manager looking for new and exciting challenges, BAE Systems has a range of opportunities for you to further your skills. Or you may have skills that could help us create opportunity – come and talk to us, we are willing to listen!
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world’s leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
BAE Systems Air brings together the company’s international capabilities and expertise to respond to customers' current and future requirements, and compete for international export and collaborative opportunities. In the UK, BAE Systems Air has an unrivalled track record and expertise in the development, delivery and support of military air platforms, components and technologies through Typhoon, F-35 Lightning II, Tornado and Hawk.
BAE Systems Air has the capability to provide customers with information superiority through the delivery of actionable intelligence and information, together with the provision of innovative information systems and services. Training is a key enabler to delivering military capability, and at BAE Systems we bring together our expertise in the analysis, design, build and delivery of training solutions into a powerful combination for our military customers around the world.
Working as an integral part of the team delivering information superiority and effective air power, our aim is to provide our customers with the capabilities and intelligence that really matters.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.