|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to join our awesome team of bright minds to build platform components and tools powering our big data ecosystem in the cloud and on premise. Our team provides the foundations on which Hotels.com and Expedia Group data teams quickly build fast, scalable and reliable solutions for our business users and customers. We love contributing our work to open source communities, two recent examples include Circus Train and Waggle Dance. These tools, developed by our team, are used to replicate and federate data across Expedia.
- Are you interested in building a world-class, fast-growing data platform in the cloud?
- Are you keen to work with and contribute to open source projects?
- Do you have a real passion for clean code and finding elegant solutions to problems?
- Are you eager to learn new big data and cloud technologies and keep your skills up to date?
If the answer is yes, Expedia Group is for you!
We seek an enthusiastic, experienced and reliable engineer who enjoys getting things done. You should have good communication skills and be equally comfortable clearly explaining technical problems and solutions with analysts, engineers and product managers. We welcome your fresh ideas and approaches as we constantly aim to improve our development methodologies. Our team has experience using a wide range of cutting-edge technologies and many years of big data and cloud experience. We are always learning and growing, so we guarantee that you won't be bored with us!
What You'll Do:
- Write clean, efficient, thoroughly tested code, backed-up with pair programming and code reviews. Most of our code is Java, but we use various other languages and frameworks.
- Be part of an agile team that is continuously learning and improving.
- Develop scalable and highly-performant distributed systems with everything this entails (availability, consistency, resiliency, monitoring).
- Work with our business partners to flesh out and deliver on requirements in an agile manner.
- Evolve development standards and practices.
- Take architectural ownership for various critical components and systems.
- Proactive problem solving at the organization level.
- Communicate and document solutions and design decisions.
- Build bridges between technical teams to enable valuable collaborations.
Who You Are:
We don’t believe in skill matching against a list of buzzwords…
However wedobelieve in hiring smart, friendly and creative people, with excellent programming abilities, who are on a journey to mastery through craftsmanship. We believegreat developers can learn new technologies quickly and effectively but it wouldn't hurt if you have experience with some of the following (or a passion to learn them):
- In depth knowledge of big data technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Spark).
- Core and server-side Java (Spring, concurrency, streams, lambdas).
- Event streaming (Kafka, Kinesis, Flink, Spark Streaming).
- Strong experience with cloud computing platforms (AWS, EMR, S3, Kubernetes, Docker).
- Experience with microservice architecture, design, and standard methodologies with an eye towards scale.
- Extensive experience in building and debugging highly scalable performant systems.
- Actively contributing toOpen SourceSoftware.
As a team weloveto…
- Work in an environment where elegant, clean and maintainable code is favored over messy hacks.
- Openly share knowledge in order to grow and develop our team members.
- Handle massive data sets that approach a petabyte in scale and contain billions of items.
- Host and attend meetups and conferences and presenting our work. This year we've presented at the Dataworks Summitin Berlin and the Devoxx Conferencein London.
- Contribute to open source. In recent years our team created Circus Train, Waggle Dance, BeeJU, CORC, Plungerand contributed to S3Proxy, Cascading,Hive,HiveRunner,Kafka and Terraform.
- Create an inclusive and fun workplace.
- Do all of this in a comfortable, modern office, with a massive roof terracein great location within central London
Hotels.com is the most rewarding way to book a place to stay. We really love travel and we know you do too. That’s why we make it really easy to book with us. With hundreds of thousands of places to stay around the world and 90 local websites in 41 languages, Hotels.com has it all. So, whether you’re looking for value in Vegas, treehouses in Thailand or villas with views, it’s all just a click away. And with our “Reward-winning” loyalty program you earn free* nights while you sleep…what could be better? Booking just got smarter too. With over 25 million real guest reviews and an app so easy to use that it’s been downloaded 70 million times, you can be sure to find the perfect place for you.
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.