Role Title: Head of Business Consulting
Business: Private Banking
New or Existing Role? Existing
- The Head of is responsible for leading a team of Senior Business Consultants and Business Consultants, working with the GPB Global Head of Transformation, to shape and initiate the transformational change which will enable HSBC (and specifically, GPB) to achieve its strategic goals in the relevant global markets.
- The role is instrumental in supporting and driving the business to come to well-reasoned decisions in matters of strategic, organisational, operational and technological investment and alignment working with and supporting the Portfolio Directors and the head of GPB’s businesses and various functions. Core to the role will be to manage the Business Consulting team that will ensure the timely and high-quality initiation of approved order book projects.
- The focus of the role will be to add value to GPB by providing proactive consultancy services at various points of the Change Lifecycle / Agile Method, in particular during initiation and prioritisation. By supporting the activities to gather quality high-level business requirements and design of leading class solutions / options, the role will help GPB achieve optimum strategic alignment whilst providing pragmatic solutions to ensure the delivery of the business benefits. In addition, the Head of is responsible for driving demand / opportunity origination. The role will also play a people / team management role within the projects / programmes they work on.
- The role also includes working closely with and in support of GPB’s Business Architect. This includes such elements as supporting execution of operating model and Design Board work, often driving blueprint material and strategic decision making to conclusion. Additionally, GPB Transformation is in the process of creating a process re-engineering and optimisation team that will support GPB globally. The intention is for the Head of to drive the shaping, creation and stand-up of the team and to direct and manage their activity. It is the intention that this team not only support the numerous regulatory driven process mapping initiatives, but that the team work to identify opportunities to streamline and optimise in order to deliver tangible benefit to GPB. There are currently numerous initiatives within the strategic business outlook that would benefit from engagement with such a team, and there is real opportunity for the proposed team to deliver substantial benefit to GPB.
- Build and sustain trusting relationships with internal customers by consistently delivering value-add consultancy services.
- Use key relationships and knowledge of business strategy, trends and key events to identify new consulting engagements.
- Work with executive management across Customer Groups and key stakeholders (Compliance, Audit, Finance, HR etc.) to constantly challenge ‘perceived wisdom’, to achieve buy-in for the recommended solution and its implementation approach, to manage the impact of change and to ensure monetisation of benefits.
- Deliver step change in operational performance (cost, service levels, and customer satisfaction) through the shaping of business change – aligned to global strategy and global / regional priorities.
- Facilitate stakeholders through decisions, consulting them, influencing them, resolving conflicts and disagreement etc.
- Manage business development initiatives and origination pipeline.
- Work with the businesses and delivery partners to develop objective, quantitative recommendations that are driven by ROI.
- Act as trusted advisor to business partners and Transformation executive management.
- Promote a culture of strategic and pragmatic thinking, aligning short term decisions and investments with longer term vision and objectives.
- Identify and recommend innovative solutions which leverage emerging technologies and solutions but which are pragmatic and implementable.
- Proactively use customer knowledge to direct work efforts towards both existing requirements and new improvement opportunities; ensure change has positive customer impact.
- Re-design, tune and amend relevant processes to ensure that GPB is working as optimally as possible.
- Work with key stakeholders, delivery partners and business leads and in parallel pro-actively identify opportunities to streamline processes across GPB to deliver tangible benefits.
- Drive and embed a culture of achievement and pace by identifying and removing barriers to success.
- Represent Business consultancy engagements in relevant steering committees, design authorities and at board level.
- Actively support the Consulting pipeline and resource management process, including the regular pipeline calls, leadership meetings and community events.
- Promote and take accountability for engagement quality, identifying opportunities to improve delivery.
- Work across global and regional teams to ensure commonality of understanding and objectives – i.e. local teams are focused on delivering against global imperatives, whilst those same global imperatives are shaped to reflect the business needs of the region.
- Contribute to the active management and rationalisation of GPB’s change portfolio, ensuring prioritisation is based on risk / return, resource availability / skills and rigorous commercial criteria.
- Ensure that assignments are delivered using the appropriate technologies and tools including Group standards.
- Contribute to enhancing Transformation methods, tools and standards, in particular Global Transformation Business Consulting Framework.
- Support the definition of programme strategy and develops a roadmap to meet all constraints of time / resources / regulation.
- Capture key learning from each engagement and feed these back into Global Transformation methodologies, best practice and ways of working.
- Manage large-scale programmes effectively as part of a global function; support global thinking and ways of working.
- Support the management of Business Architecture and the development of a target operating model for GPB.
- Drive the development and creation of a process re-engineering team and manage their day to day activity to identify opportunities to drive benefits in operational performance.
Capability and People Development
- Lead a team of Senior Business Consultants / Business Consultants to ensure quality and consistency of approach, and in the development and sharing of best practice across GPB.
- Define high level responsibilities and objectives for business consulting engagement teams.
- Manage and support the consulting pipeline and resourcing process, identifying and escalating resource requirements.
- Contribute to creating a new Transformation culture across the organisation, fulfilled through the development of Global Transformation.
- Collaborate with other regional / local Transformation teams to ensure commonality of approach, methods and tools and consistency of advice and solutions.
- Act as a role model to foster a collaborative team environment which supports and encourages professionalism and development.
- Drive a performance management based culture to manage and improve performance, including effective management of underperformers and contributing to calibration processes.
- Continuously support capability build of the Consulting Practice i.e. through sponsoring and advocating community events, sharing relevant articles / studies / ideas, ensuring regular development and sharing of Global Transformation consulting case studies, cascading practice communications, supporting recruitment activities etc.
- Lead the shaping, creation, hiring and development of the process re-engineering and optimisation team and to manage their day to day activities.
- To act as a guide in the pro-active identification of potential opportunities and to act as a facilitator for the team with the various stakeholders, delivery partners and business leads for the identification of opportunities for process re-engineering and optimisation.
- Operate at an executive level, working across global business and regions and maintaining a global perspective on business transformation.
- Management and control of multiple complex global programmes / business transformation which have ambitious goals and high change requirements.
- Demonstrating the value of Global Transformation consulting in helping to shape GPB’s change agenda and achieve quick wins for the business, whilst also developing the long term roadmap for a change initiative.
- Shaping, hiring and developing a process re-engineering team that is capable of understanding GPB and being able to deliver tangible benefits in the short to medium term and strategically over a multi-year period.
- The Heads of is responsible for the delivery of globally driven, globally coordinated or priority market engagements. They are required to lead the change initiative in the pre-definition phase, take strategic decisions, operate at an executive level and manage global stakeholder and sponsor relationships. This requires the Heads of to operate in the following way:
- Work independently and have the gravitas and acumen to consult with business at the Senior Management level. They should be confident to challenge the business, where appropriate.
- Be self-motivated and driven but able to manage and work in a team whenever required. He / she will not be subject to close supervision.
- Be easily accessible and available to support global business sponsor needs, ensuring they are reactive to Business Partner’s needs. Typically he / she should have high energy and sense of urgency with the ability to learn quickly and assimilate information.
- Work closely with and get support from global businesses and global functions. He / she should be able to ‘connect the dots’ between businesses, regions, priority markets and countries for the business sponsor.
- Be able to cope and bring structure to ambiguous situations and problems. He / she will be expected to adopt an agile and flexible approach to work. Ideally, a Head of should have the ability to move between modes of thinking (e.g. strategic to analytical; board to drilldown).
- Have knowledge of process mapping, re-engineering and lean principles and be able to shape, hire and lead a team that is able to deliver tangible benefits to GPB.
- The jobholder will be required to manage one or more engagements with some level of complexity and scope. That said, the value of this role should not be measured by the size of the team, but by the impact the team is expected to deliver.
Management of Risk
- The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks and likelihood of operational risk occurring. This will be achieved by reviewing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new processes. The jobholder should then address any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and / or the appropriate department.
- Solutions must comply with applicable legal and regulatory requirements - albeit that inherent in the role is the requirement to challenge our interpretation of these requirements to ensure that we take a commercial approach to their implementation.
Observation of Internal Controls
- The Head of is expected to maintain HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will adopt the Group Compliance Policy by escalating any identified compliance risk in liaison with Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply.
- Head of should adhere to the Groups standard tools and methodologies:
- HSBC RBPM
- HSBC Global Transformation Frameworks, specifically, the Global Transformation Business Consulting Framework
- Group Standard Business Case
- Centrally defined and agreed mapping standards
- Lean methodology