The CBI is the UK’s most effective and influential business membership organisation. We provide our members with the influence, insight and access they need to plan ahead with confidence and grow. We represent their views as we work with policymakers to deliver a healthy environment for businesses to succeed, create jobs and ultimately, drive economic growth and prosperity.
Within the CBI’s London & South membership team there is an exciting opportunity to join a group tasked with driving the ambitious growth plans of the business. It will be your job to help develop our membership base by both managing external relationships with existing CBI members and supporting the sales activity of the wider Commercial team.
The Relationship Manager will be responsible for managing up to 40 CBI member relationships, comprising companies of all sizes and representing a range of economic sectors. These members, both existing and new, are drawn from across London, Thames Valley and the South East. You will liaise daily with policy, campaigns, products and events teams for up to date product information; build external relationships with existing members; and support both the recruitment and on-boarding of new CBI members through collaboration with the CBI’s Sales team.
Managing CBI member relationships
- Maintaining and deepening relationships with CBI members in the London, Thames Valley and South East regions, ensuring they are kept informed of regional and national opportunities to shape CBI and government policy and participate in CBI activities
- Driving increased membership retention and satisfaction by delivering a compelling and efficient membership offer based on policy, networking and intelligence
- Increasing the value of the membership portfolio with a strong focus on the delivery of account management protocols and cross-selling commercial sponsorship opportunities
- Maintaining accurate records by tracking activity on the CRM system and ensuring relevant information is shared with the appropriate stakeholders.
Supporting the recruitment of new members to the CBI
- Contributing to the London & South team’s overall recruitment targets by supporting the sales activities of the wider Commercial team.
- Supporting the sales process from open to close, drawing on member insight to both help identify potential targets and develop sales materials that highlight the value of CBI membership.
- Supporting the CBI’s products and services team to package CBI’s policy intelligence and events into a commercial offer for prospective business.
Developing specialist expertise to help deepen the CBI’s member offer
- Reflecting the composition of your membership portfolio or your policy interests, working with teams from across the CBI to gain greater experience and knowledge in your area of expertise
- Deploying this expertise to help improve the CBI’s offer around either specific sectors of the economy or distinct policy areas. This can be through helping to influence policy agendas, sharing insight on new developments, or by providing access to new member networks.
Knowledge and experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Knowledge of and interest in business affairs, national and regional policy
- Experience working with external stakeholders, preferably senior stakeholders
- Experience of writing sales or commercial documents
- Educated to degree-level or equivalent.
The practical actions required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Interpersonal – interpersonal and networking skills, comfortable dealing with senior members of organisations
- Strategic and business thinking – ability to understand business strategy and how the current political and economic environment can either support or undermine a company’s business objectives; ability to be think laterally and solve problems
- Research and using information – Commercial focus; strong aptitude in the use of Microsoft applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Communication – Ability to collate information from multiple sources and contexts into concise structured documents; exceptional attention to detail
- Planning and organisation – Self-motivated and focused on delivery and results; good organisational and team working skills; ability to work under pressure/meet tight deadlines.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions.
Equal opportunity employer
Be you! Where everyone feels they can belong.
Our aim is to create prosperity for all. To do that well, we need a workforce that is more representative of the businesses we serve.
We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more innovative work environment that delivers better results. To support an inclusive environment where employees feel empowered to share their experiences and ideas, we’ve encouraged the creation of a variety of Employee Resource Groups - Women, LGBT+, BAME and Working Families.
We recognise the many benefits flexible working can bring. Many of our employees work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking and will accommodate where possible.
How to apply
Please submit your CV an cover letter to email@example.com with 'Relationship Manager' as the subject.