The Scientific Quality Control team is instrumental in supporting Abcam’s mission to provide quality research tools for life scientists. In this lab-based role, you will be responsible for the validation of antibodies, predominantly via Western blot, but also in ELISA and other, antibody–related applications as required. Additional tasks will include general lab and equipment maintenance/cleaning, managing lab stock reagents/consumables, adhering to quality assurance policies and any other tasks that are necessary to facilitate the smooth operation of the SciQC laboratory.
Support the SciQC team to characterise antibodies, ensuring that our products are of expected high quality.
- Conduct high through-put Western blotting.
- Perform other antibody-related applications, including ELISA and IP as required
- Accurately and reproducibly record and review assay results, as well as reporting experimental data at team or project meetings where required.
- Operate and maintain standard laboratory equipment such as LEVs, centrifuges, pipettes, along with more bespoke equipment, including scanners for infrared blotting and G boxes.
- Prepare standard buffers and reagents according to defined operating procedures.
- Provide general lab support, maintain a clean and safe environment.
- Help establish a safe and efficient working environment in the laboratory and help to ensure the safety of colleagues and visitors. Abide by laboratory SOPs and H&S documentation at all times
- Maintain quality standards and actively contribute ideas for improving standard processes and procedures within the team.
- Be a team player; facilitate open and constructive communication within the company.
- Be aware of company and department objectives and play an active role in achieving these.
You will be educated to degree level in biological sciences (or equivalent) with significant practical experience of Western blots. You will be scientifically curious, with a desire to troubleshoot.
Our ideal candidate will be an advanced user of MS Office. Knowledge of Laboratory Information Management Systems would be beneficial, but not essential.
You will be a strong team player with excellent organisational capabilities, able to prioritise, multitask and work to deadlines. Additionally, you will be an effective communicator, comfortable building relationships within the team and across the business.