Role Title: Business Consultant
New or Existing Role: Existing
- HSBC Global Operations Strategy team drives Global Operations Strategy by determining its investment strategy, tracking its effectiveness and monitoring its execution throughout the planning cycles.
- The team is responsible for effectively communicating and promoting Global Operations Strategy and Vision both internally and externally, as well as aligning it with the Group’s Businesses and Functions.
- The Global Operations Strategy will define which services Operations will offer, the technology we will use, the skills our people will have, how we will be organised and most importantly how we will drive significant improvements in customer outcomes. The Strategy will also outline the commercial opportunities that Global Operation will pursue.
- Finally, the team reports into Global Operations Transformation and therefore closely collaborates with its pillars including Innovation, Automation, etc to align efforts and resources towards achieving its strategy.
- This highly dynamic and strategic role will be responsible for supporting the Head of Strategy to determine the Global Operations Strategy in line with its 2030 vision and communicate accordingly to various audiences, including Group Management Board and other Senior forums.
- The role will also support the definition of the investment case for achieving its commitment and reaching its financial targets. Further to that, the role holder will define and solve business problems and find opportunities for additional transformational initiatives that supports the business in achieving its 2030 targets.
Impact on Business
- Working closely with the Head of Strategy to develop the future strategy
- Running workshops to define and continuously review Operations Strategy
- Outlining and creating communication materials to promote Operations’ Vision and Strategy
- Providing continuous and periodic updates on Global Operations Strategy
- Creating and evaluating the investment strategy / transformation case, with key milestones, against the desired end state and 2030 vision
- Organising events and engaging in external Strategic events if required
- Creating an intelligence capability to monitor the industry and drive market insights. Supporting and aligning Operations’ strategy to the Group’s Strategic initiatives by engaging with the Business
- Preparing the ExCo Offsites content and organising where possible
Customers / Stakeholders
- Ensures close and effective working relationships with global, regional teams
- Manages and facilitates relationship with external vendors as and when required
- Primary face off to Operations Executive Committee
Leadership & Teamwork
- Promote and recognise cross-cultural working and communication within team – be culturally sensitive.
- Collectively work towards the same goals with clear accountability and ownership as well as a good sense of prioritisation
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Gain a clear understanding of others’ point of view by listening, asking clarifying questions and reflecting back.
- Anticipate issues and risks and address them quickly, with an understanding of the critical path.
- Contemplate contingencies and develop strategies to manage risks.
- Articulate or translate complex information in a clear, meaningful and structured way to suit audience.
- Play a key role in helping the business define their business problem statements –challenging business perceptions where required. Ensure the right ‘exam question’ is being answered.
- Work effectively with the Head of Operating Model and other supporting managers/lens leads to drive solutions and carve out a succinct plan for the future state of HSBC Operations – aligning to overall Business driven programmes
- The jobholder is required to work in an environment of significant ambiguity, and will likely to be delegated to deal with issues for which there is no clear solution whilst being able to provide judgment and clear direction.
- They must also:
- Work relatively independently and have the gravitas and acumen to consult with business management.
- Be self-motivated and driven but able to manage and work in a team whenever required.
- Be easily accessible and available to support business stakeholder and Consulting Leadership needs.
- Be able to cope and bring structure to ambiguous situations and problems. He / she will be expected to adopt an agile and flexible approach to work.
The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation.
The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring.
Also by addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with entity management and/or the appropriate department.
Observation of Internal Controls
- The jobholder will also adhere to and be able to demonstrate adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
The jobholder will implement the Group compliance policy by containing compliance risk in liaison with Global Head of Compliance, Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply.
This will be achieved by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures and by liaising with Compliance department about new business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.