Naomi Simson founded Red Balloon in 2001 and it’s now the third largest experience marketplace of its type in the world. She was on four seasons of Channel 10’s Shark Tank and is a passionate supporter of female founders. We talk about supporting local business to fuel Australia’s recovery, using this period to reflect on what is important to you, Rushing Women’s Syndrome, and finding your passion. An inspiring and personal conversation, I hope you enjoy it.
In this episode we talk about:
- Naomi left her rich corporate career to gain access to flexibility once she had a child.
- Her career focus right now, and building on Red Balloon's success.
- The challenge of marketing for small business.
- Small businesses are the backbone of Australia.
- Buying local to bring Australia through the Covid-19 crisis.
- The multiplier effect on local Australian businesses from Red Balloon.
- The mental health of small businesses in Australia, and the importance of supporting them.
- Naomi's support for women in business.
- People using the Covid-19 lockdown period to reflect on what's important to them.
- Rushing Woman's Syndrome, and how many people it affects.
- The opportunity to create increased flexibility at work.
- Building community when a team is fully remote.
- Naomi's list of 'things I believe'
- Creating connection at work and personally through virtual shared experiences.
- Naomi's book Live What You Love, and finding your passion, positivity, persistence, purpose.
- Finding your purpose, and Naomi's own purpose.
- The things our children remember about their childhood, and how we impact them as parents.
- Naomi's invitation to marketers to talk to her about the Reboot Australia program.
Love this Podcast so much that you can't wait to listen to another? Check out Episode Two: Gender Equality and Reaching 50-50 with Fiona Vines
To make sure you don’t miss future episodes of Equality Talks, subscribe on iTunes, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts!
Podcast Transcript Season 2 Episode 1.pdf
About the author
WORK180 is a jobs board with a difference! We pre-screen employers on paid-parent leave, pay equity, flexible working arrangements and more. Find your dream job here.